Saturday, November 12, 2011

Preface to the second edition


Welcome (me) back. It’s been a year or three since I completed the first edition of Will? I Am! However, that version was only a stopgap, and I knew it. Although I was pretty pleased with it at the time, I always knew that I had a lot more to say. I indicated as much then, but was in a hurry to post at least a rough & ready version online in case I was side-tracked or otherwise taken out of circulation.
 
What I wasn’t prepared for, however, was that I would want to rewrite so much of what I’d written. It dismayed me to discover so many pages of useless, uninteresting and repetitious material. My explanations were often unclear, and my linking non-existent. A lot of reorganization was called for, so I steeled myself to kill off an entire tribe of little darlings. Since then, I’ve eliminated a large number but there'll be more to get rid of, no doubt.
 
It would take me forever to do a perfect job. I don't want to wait that long. So here’s the plan: I’ll dive right into that running commentary that I promised you - otherwise I might never get started. I’ll go through section by section and get my work up to scratch. Along the way, I’ll be reminded of points that I’d forgotten to make. I may make them there and then. Or, then I’ll include them in Part Two.
 
No wait . . . that’d make it Part Three.

No comments:

Post a Comment